- ¼ cup water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large bell peppers (green, red & yellow), seeded and diced
- 2 large celery ribs, diced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon each dried thyme + oregano
- ¼–½ teaspoon cayenne or red pepper flakes
- 1 can (14oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1½ cups dry long-grain rice
- 3½–4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 can (14oz each) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
Saute: In a large pan, heat water over medium-high heat, add the onion, garlic, celery, and bell peppers, saute for 5 minutes. Add the smoked paprika, thyme, oregano, and cayenne, and saute for 1 minute more.
Simmer: Add the crushed tomatoes, rice, and broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover askew, and simmer on low for 20–25 minutes, stirring every 7 minutes or so to keep the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan. In the last 5 minutes, add the beans and continue to cook until warmed through.
Serve: Spoon into serving bowls and top with garnish of choice.
Store: Leftovers can be stored for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. For longer storage, keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. Let thaw before reheating on the stovetop or in the microwave.